Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dr. Laura



Dr. Laura will retire from her radio show, as reported at CNN. The 63-year-old conservative talk show host, who apologized for an n-word rant where she uttered the offensive word 11 times while talking to a caller, told Larry King on Larry King Live that she wants to regain her "First Amendment rights." Says, Dr. Laura Schlessinger, "I want to be able to say what's on my mind and in my heart and what I think is helpful and useful, without somebody getting angry, some special interest group deciding this is a time to silence a voice of dissent and attack affiliates and attack sponsors."

Dr. Laura retires from her radio show so that she can "say what's on her mind." But she also claims, "It's not in my nature to go out of my way to hurt people"

Dr. Laura tells Larry King that she did something wrong and is regretful, yet she also says that she wants to be able to "say what's on my mind and in my heart." The n-word is an offensive term. How regretful is Dr. Laura, really? Is she regretful that she said the n-word, 11 times, or she simply mad about the backlash?

On her blog she writes, "I have no trouble apologizing when I'm wrong and I never apologize for effect. I apologize ONLY when it is really coming from my heart." If she is genuine in her remorse, why go to the huge extreme of ending the show? Is it just a "take that" move?

It's okay for Dr. Laura to get angry but not other people?
Dr. Laura is set to retire from her radio show and writes on her blog, "Now, what makes me sad...what pains my heart deeply...is that, beyond the reasoned letters which I continue to get, I have heard comments from some broadcasters and letters from some people that cannot be described as anything other than hate-filled diatribes. Hate-filled. This does not make me angry, but it hurts my heart."

When a person uses the n-word 11 times the way she did, she can apology, but is it reasonable to expect everyone to just let it go? Dr. Laura has a right to say what she wants. Do others have a right not to support what she says? Is it a two way street, or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment